Friday, July 18, 2008

The salt lake city post... Again


DSCN0175
Originally uploaded by matrat

so, you might have read on my last post that my post got deleted. Well, now I'll go through it again. I got in at 12 on Wednesday but walt doesn't get out of work until 4 so I had four hours to just wander around the city and explore. First I took a taxi (no train from the airport) from the airport to "the gateway" which was just a mall. I had to go to the apple store there because my iPod touch's screen died while I was in the grand rapids airport. So I stopped there first and the store was packed because of the iPhone 3g launch. The earliest appointment I could get there was at 4:10. So to kill some time, I found the nearest TRAX (train) station and bought an all-day pass for $5. I hopped on and went to temple square where all the Mormon stuff was. I explored there a little bit but then I had to go back for my appointment at the apple store. So I went to the apple store, it took a while to get help because all of the other people there were having problems with their iPhones and they take a while to reactivate. But once they got around to me they plugged in my iPod saw the screen was dead and got me a replacement. Good thing too! I didn't bring my computer with me so I could carry everything in one bag. Now that I have this iPod I can go on the Internet, get email, and blog like I'm doing now! After the apple store I met up with walt and we got dinner and I got to see the mine where he works... It's huge! But by that time I was ready to go to sleep, I had gotten maybe one hour of sleep in the past thirty hours.

Yesterday, I slept in until 1 or 2 and started exploring the city some more. First I walked to the chipotle near walt's place then I walked to a TRAX station. I took the train into town and finished exploring temple square (which is what this picture is of) and then rode the train out to the university of Utah campus. I didn't really find much interesting to do there and so I headed back to downtown. Then walt called and I met him at a train station and he got an oil change for the jetta. After that we went to walt's friend's apartment and hung out there for a while.

Today after walt gets out of work we'll be heading to cedar city then Moab!

3 comments:

JimR said...

COol Matt! Thanks for the trip report! Way to use public transportation buddy! Keep it green!

Shawn said...

Yeah! Good job! I'm glad to hear you've found your way around and it is so fun to hear what you're up to!

Sally said...

Great post, Matt. Looks like you are having a great time exploring on your own, which is one of my favorite things to do. I feel your pain about the computer problems. My Darn Dell Died on vacation...again! I'll have to call service when I get home to see if they can help me fix it. In the meantime, I'm on Bill's Asus with it's itty bitty keys.